Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I Have Agreed For The Job – Armando Colaco On Being The Next Coach Of Team India

goal: Armando Colaco is honoured after the All India Football Federation (AIFF) requested the Dempo SC coach to take over the reins of the Indian national team, with the first assignment being the 2014 World Cup qualifiers.

It was last month that Bob Houghton and the Indian FA parted ways after the Englishman submitted his resignation in return for the dropping of racism charges against him.

Since then the AIFF have been on the lookout for apt applicants and with some high profile names in the industry being keen on the job, the Indian FA have decided to give Colaco an opportunity, something which he deserves given the success he has had.

“It is more or less agreed upon. I am just waiting for a formal word from my chairman (Srinivas Dempo). I was approached in Pune by Kushal Das (AIFF general secretary) and it was a very fruitful talk.

“I asked them to give me support at all times and I’m ready to work for the country’s cause.  I appreciate Das’ words of praise for the Dempo style of football,” Colaco told Goal.com.

Das had exclusively revealed in an interview to Goal.com of his appreciation towards the Dempo style of football which is attractive and also skillful to say the least.

“I am looking at a longer stint with the national team. The 2014 World Cup qualifiers against UAE is certainly a herculean task with regards to changing the style of play as they have playing the long ball method for far too long.

“I have requested for the same coaching staff (Savio Madeira and Marcus Pacheto) as they know the players well. Everybody has agreed though I am waiting for things to get formal,” informed Colaco.

Given that the games against UAE are in the month of July, which is off-season for club football, Dempo shall not miss him during this period.

“I have told my boss that the signings can be handled and as far as the secretarial work is concerned, we can get someone to handle that,” he said.

The winner of the best coach award at the Football Players’ Association of India (FPAI) award function last year, Colaco wants to build a team for the future and wants to have the technical director, who is likely to be a foreign coach with lots of experience, on the same page as himself.

“I want to have a team for a long duration. The reason for our success at Dempo has been the support from my chairman and that we have stuck our principles. Unless we change the style of youngsters at the grass-roots, it is very difficult to teach them the technique later.

“They (AIFF) are trying to get a technical director and I would want to work in tandem with him for the benefit of Indian football,” added Colaco.

There is a section who believes that the Indian coaches in the past have got a raw deal from AIFF and Colaco is here to prove a point.

“I want to prove that there is someone in India who can do this job. We can also go for South American coaches as they stress on keeping the ball. If you do manage to do that, you control the game.

“Today Barcelona are the best team in the world. Dempo are nowhere compared to them but at least one point we match – keeping the ball philosophy. Trevor Morgan, the coach of East Bengal, said that all the clubs in India must follow the example of Dempo.

“The compliments have been coming my way and I won’t say that I expected this. In fact I never thought of this day and it’s by God’s grace I have achieved what you can see,” signed off Colaco.

0 comments:

Post a Comment